Please Read: Summary of Important Rules

Latest PBDL developments straight from the Commish.

Moderator: Detroit (GLD)

Please Read: Summary of Important Rules

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:09 pm

All of these rules are in the constitution as well, but they can't be emphasized enough. Please pay close attention to the following list and do your best to follow them. If these end up being repeatedly violated, a harsher "consequence" system may need to be put in place. For now, its relatively benign, but please make my job easier by simply following these rules.

Rule: Your minor league system (AAA, AA, A) may NOT exceed 90 players - excludes players who are BOTH injured and on the DL as well as DFA players. The minor league cap will be checked after importing exports but before the sim is run and will only be checked and enforced during the regular season.
Consequence: Players will be released by commissioner at his discretion and/or minor league system will be "auto manged by AI" if this cap is exceeded; also a fine of $50,000 for every player in excess of the cap will be applied.

Rule: Any new free agent signing or contract extension must have equal salary in each year.
Consequence: Any illegal contracts will be voided or adjusted and commissioner will reduce team's fan interest by three points.

Rule: While contract incentives can be offered, they must be reasonable. Example - offering an incentive for 500 plate appearances in this league when we have 84 game seasons is NOT reasonable. (see Constitution for further detail)
Consequence: Contracts will be adjusted or voided at the Commissioner's discretion and fan interest deduction of three points may be applied.

Rule: You may not stash healthy players on the DL. When their DL time is up and they are healed, remove them asap.
Consequence:Entire roster will be auto managed by the AI if the player remains on the DL for several sims.

Rule: You may not sign free agents to major league contracts once the regular season has concluded until free agency re-opens in March.
Consequence:Player will be released back to free agent pool.

Rule: The maximum length of contract extensions is capped at 4 years until the player reaches 5 years of major league service time at which point there is no cap on contract length. This rule applies only to extensions, not free agent signings.
Consequence: Extensions signed that exceed the 4 year cap will be reduced by the commissioner to the maximum 4 year length. No penalties for submitting contracts that violate this rule will be assessed, but penalties may be implemented in the future.
General Manager - Detroit Red Wings
Commissioner - PBDL

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Detroit (GLD)

Re: Please Read: Summary of Important Rules

Postby St. Louis (GLD) » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Does the 95 player cap include DL?
General Manager - St. Louis Blues
St. Louis (GLD)

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:35 pm

St. Louis (BRZ) wrote:Does the 95 player cap include DL?

As long as they are either injured, or have time left on the DL, then no they do not count.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Postby Vancouver (SIL) » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm

If I go over the 95 ML due to FA signings in a SIM am I OK as long as I cut back to 95 before the next SIM.
General Manager - Vancouver Canucks
Vancouver (SIL)

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 am

Vancouver (BRZ) wrote:If I go over the 95 ML due to FA signings in a SIM am I OK as long as I cut back to 95 before the next SIM.

It wont start being enforced until opening day.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Postby Vancouver (SIL) » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 am

I assume the 95 Minor league limit is not enforced to opening day again? Just want to know when to do cuts.
General Manager - Vancouver Canucks
Vancouver (SIL)

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 am

Vancouver (BRZ) wrote:I assume the 95 Minor league limit is not enforced to opening day again? Just want to know when to do cuts.

Yup, I will put out a reminder with tonights sim email.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Postby St. Louis (GLD) » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 am

Okay cool, I was actually wondering the same. I was under the number anyways, but good to know.
General Manager - St. Louis Blues
St. Louis (GLD)

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Please note the following addition to the "Summary of Important Rules"

Rule: You may not sign free agents once the regular season has concluded until free agency re-opens on March 1st.
Consequence:Player will be released back to free agent pool.

Reasoning:
Teams sometimes release players at the end of the season in order to avoid paying a team option contract. This rule change was made to prevent teams from signing these recently released players until free agency officially re-opens in March.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 am

Based on feedback received after the last sim, the following changes are being made to the way the minor league player cap is being enforced. Top post in this thread has been updated.

1. The minor league player limit will now be checked after importing exports, but before running the sim. This means that you will be able to sign players to minor league contracts during the sim and TEMPORARILY exceed the cap as long as you are under the cap by the next sim.
2. Clarified that the cap is only checked during the regular season, so you may exceed the cap during the off-season.
3. Implemented $50K penalty for every player in excess of the cap.

Number 1 & 2 is effective immediately.
Number 3 is effective Sunday, September 1st.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Postby New Jersey (BRZ) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Thought the cap was 90 players not 95?
General Manager - New Jersey Devils

JT Wodenson joined end of 2020 Season
New Jersey (BRZ)

Postby commish » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:07 pm

New Jersey (BRZ) wrote:Thought the cap was 90 players not 95?

It was changed from 95 to 90 a few seasons ago, hence why some posts in this thread refer to 95. 90 is the correct number.
Commissioner - PBDL
commish
Site Admin

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:32 pm

While OOTP 16 has eliminated many contract negotiation loopholes, I am still not satisfied with how easy it is to sign cheap long term deals to pre arb or arbitration players. In order to maintain the appropriate financial balance and competitive fairness within the PBDL, the rule change detailed below will be effective immediately for all contracts signed after game date April 24th, 2031. The text below has been added to the original post and will also be incorporated into the league constitution.

No penalty will apply for at least the first season to give people time to adjust.

Rule: The maximum length of contract extensions is capped at 3 years until the player reaches 5 years of major league service time at which point there is no cap on contract length. This rule applies only to extensions, not free agent signings.
Consequence: Extensions signed that exceed the 3 year cap will be reduced by the commissioner to the maximum 3 year length. No penalties for submitting contracts that violate this rule will be assessed, but penalties may be implemented in the future.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Per the poll approved last season, contract extensions are now capped at FOUR years instead of THREE for players who have less than 5 years of major league service. First post in this thread has been updated to reflect.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Postby Islanders (GLD) » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks Nick!

Just a note, the consequence under the new 4 year provision still reflects the old 3 year provision.
Jason Lortie - General Manager - New York Islanders
Check my Trade Block

Image Image Image Image
Islanders (GLD)

Postby Tampa Bay (GLD) » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:16 pm

What is one to do when a player in his final year with four years experience will not accept any offer less than five years?
General Manager - Tampa Bay Lightning
Growing a great team, one baby step at a time
Tampa Bay (GLD)

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Tampa Bay (SIL) wrote:What is one to do when a player in his final year with four years experience will not accept any offer less than five years?

Go to arbitration with him.
Commissioner - PBDL

Detroit (GLD)

Return to Commissioner's Desk