OOTP 18 & Retained Salary

Both teams post here once a trade is finalized.

Moderator: Detroit (GLD)

OOTP 18 & Retained Salary

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:24 pm

You can now put in your trades the desire to retain part or all of a player's salary. You can do this in increments of 5%. Say Detroit wants to trade way overpaid second basemen Jim Smith...the guy is making $400K per year for the next 3 seasons. I can negoitaite with other teams to retain part of the salary. In this case, I have offered XYZ team Jim Smith and offered to retain 35% of his salary. In other words, I will pay $140K per year of his remaining salary and XYZ team will pay $260K. Also see note from OOTP manual on how option years are handled at the end of this post.

Here's how you post it:

Detroit Sends:
2B Jim Smith (ML) - Retain 35%

XYZ Sends:
SP Rob Lowe (A)

A team option, or any contract after that, will not be included in the retained salary. So, if January 1, you trade a player with two years left on his contract at a salary of $10M per year with a team option after the first year and a $1M buyout, and you retain 25% of the player's salary, then you will have $2.5M applied to your finances for this year, and the other team will now evaluate the option. If they execute the option, then they will have to pay the full $10M the following season - the original team does not have to pay 25% of the option year.

However, player options, opt-outs, and vesting options do not have the same logic. In these cases, you are on the hook for the entire portion of the salary. However, if the option is declined, or the vesting option does not vest, then you will not be on the hook for any future salary.
General Manager - Detroit Red Wings
Commissioner - PBDL

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Detroit (GLD)

Re: OOTP 18 & Retained Salary

Postby Colorado (SIL) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:38 pm

I've heard reports that it is incredibly glitchy.

Detroit (GLD) wrote:You can now put in your trades the desire to retain part or all of a player's salary. You can do this in increments of 5%. Say Detroit wants to trade way overpaid second basemen Jim Smith...the guy is making $400K per year for the next 3 seasons. I can negoitaite with other teams to retain part of the salary. In this case, I have offered XYZ team Jim Smith and offered to retain 35% of his salary. In other words, I will pay $140K per year of his remaining salary and XYZ team will pay $260K. Also see note from OOTP manual on how option years are handled at the end of this post.

Here's how you post it:

Detroit Sends:
2B Jim Smith (ML) - Retain 35%

XYZ Sends:
SP Rob Lowe (A)

A team option, or any contract after that, will not be included in the retained salary. So, if January 1, you trade a player with two years left on his contract at a salary of $10M per year with a team option after the first year and a $1M buyout, and you retain 25% of the player's salary, then you will have $2.5M applied to your finances for this year, and the other team will now evaluate the option. If they execute the option, then they will have to pay the full $10M the following season - the original team does not have to pay 25% of the option year.

However, player options, opt-outs, and vesting options do not have the same logic. In these cases, you are on the hook for the entire portion of the salary. However, if the option is declined, or the vesting option does not vest, then you will not be on the hook for any future salary.
General Manager since 2031 of the Colorado Avalanche.
2037 - BRONZE Regular Season Champions
2039 / 2043 - SILVER Playoff Champions
Colorado (SIL)

Re: OOTP 18 & Retained Salary

Postby Detroit (GLD) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:55 pm

From reading patch notes, they seem to have fixed a lot of it, guess we'll see.
General Manager - Detroit Red Wings
Commissioner - PBDL

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Detroit (GLD)

Return to Completed Trades